What is Kinesiology?
Kinesiology was originally developed by an American chiropractor called George Goodheart. He found that by testing muscles before and after he made a correction he achieved better results for his patients. As time progressed he was able to make a connection between various muscles and acupuncture meridians. By testing these muscles the kinesiologist can get a picture of what is happening in your meridian system and how this is affecting you. But, equally, the muscle testing can also show what has affected the meridians in the first place and indicate what is the best way to deal with that stress, be it emotional, physical, environmental, nutritional or mental.
So, kinesiology is a blend of the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine and western techniques that allow a kinesiologist to treat you in a truly holistic manner. Each person’s session is unique to them. Kinesiology can establish connections between imbalances and can establish which is the priority issue to be dealt with and what is the most effective treatment.
Kinesiology uses a range of gentle yet extremely powerful techniques. These restore balance to your system and create and maintain health and well-being. You can function better on all levels. Kinesiology also allows the kinesiologist to draw on other healing techniques and modalities and integrate them into the session where appropriate and indicated by the muscle response. Some people consider kinesiology to be one of the best methods to use to uncover and help the underlying causes of health problems that are difficult to find by any other means.
Muscle monitoring & Muscle testing are the principal tools of kinesiology, with these two names working interchangeably with each other. A limb is placed so that one of its muscles is in a contracted position. The kinesiologist applies pressure to that muscle and the client is asked to match the pressure. This is not a test of the strength of the muscle but of how the muscle responds to the stimulus of the added pressure. The muscle will either remain in contraction or will unlock. At no time should the client experience pain or discomfort with the testing. How the muscle responds gives the kinesiologist feedback and this is used to determine what the priority stresses are and the best way to address them.
Who can Benefit?
Everyone can benefit: from babies to the elderly, athletes, the fit to the injured and unwell, dyslexics, performers and even animals. If someone cannot be muscle tested directly because they are too young, injured, in pain or even unconscious, a surrogate can be used. Surrogate testing is another unique kinesiology tool.
Kinesiology is primarily a system of preventative health care. Its main aim is to create and sustain optimum health, well being and effective functioning and resolve the common complaints which prevent people from reaching their full potential. Because it addresses the whole person, including the energy aspect, and not just symptoms, it can discover the underlying cause and treat it successfully. It can of course also be used very effectively to deal with clients with serious health problems.
Corrections & Treatment
Having identified a stress or imbalance, a kinesiologist can use the client’s own body to determine effective corrections, remedies and treatments. When a muscle tests weak the practitioner can for example ask the client to touch an associated reflex point, acupuncture point or some other point to find out what correction or corrections will make the muscle strong. Or the practitioner can test a proposed movement, for example lightly push a vertebrae in a particular direction, and test an IM to find out the precise direction the body needs for an adjustment. This enables the kinesiologist to test the efficacy of the correction before applying it and provides instant feedback without having to wait for the outcome of treatment.
Kinesiology aims to balance the whole system and as mentioned earlier, treatments span the range from deep massage to energy work. They are gentle yet powerful and can bring about instant change.
Standard Kinesiology corrections include the following:
• Massage on body reflex points to stimulate lymphatic flow
• Light touch on reflex points on the head to stimulate the vascular system
• Stimulation of meridian energy on and off the body
• Nutritional support
• Emotional balancing by activating reflexes on the head
• Specific movements and exercises for improving coordination
• Manipulation by osteopaths and chiropractors
These are only a few of the commonly used corrections and treatments but there are many others. Many are drawn from other healing modalities such as flower essences, essential oils, crystals, colour, sound etc. and more are evolving all the time.
What can Kinesiology Help?
1. Low energy, weight imbalance, digestion issues, mood changes, depression, pregnancy, learning, challenges, behavioural problems, anxiety, physical pain, trauma, injury, sports performance, depression, birth trauma, vaccination reactions.
2. Irritable, stress, headaches, sleep problems, insomnia, tired, sad, coping, recovering, busy mind, angry, gut discomfort, migraine, eating problems, nervousness, exhaustion, faintness, dizziness, drowsiness, forgetfulness, worrying, heart issues, blood pressure, muscle pain, back pain, allergies, focus, stiffness, blood sugar high / low, eating problems, toxicity, shock, food intolerance, decision making, direction, fear, concern of disease,
3. Chronic conditions, diagnosed illness, concentration, communication, creativity, happiness, immune system, allergies, PMS, hormonal imbalances, metabolism, addictions, menstruation, skin conditions, panic attacks, obsessive thoughts, memory loss.
4. And more…….